Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Protect the Family!

The definition of the "traditional family" is changing in our society.  I believe that "God has commanded that marriage be between a man and woman lawfully wedding as husband and wife."  I believe this because I believe the family is eternal.  We were a family before we came to earth, we create our eternal family while on the earth, and if we live worthy we will be blessed to live as families eternally.  Happiness is to be found in our families.  After completing this course, there are two main areas where I want to focus and expand more. Those areas are my own marriage and my role as a mother.

In studying about Adam and Eve and their interactions with each other I learned a lot about what it takes to have a strong marriage.  I need to evaluate my life and see how to better heed the counsel to labor and pray together. In Moses 5 we learn that Adam and Even had to work very hard, "by the sweat of their brow" to survive on Earth.  But, that they "labored together".  It goes on to say that they called on God "together".  Adam and Eve worked and prayed together.  This was contrasted by their time in the garden.  They were both alone when tempted by Satan to partake of the forbidden fruit.  Elder Bednar stated, "Given what we know about our enemy's intent, each of us should be especially vigilant in seeking personal inspiration as to how we can protect and safeguard our own marriages." (Bednar, 2006)  I will work harder at being selfless in my marriage.

My role as a mother is very important to me.  I am so grateful for our family.  Our first two children came very quickly and very easily into our lives.  I took being a mother for granted.  It took over five years for #3 to join our family.  The good thing about that waiting period was it made me realize how much I loved being a mother and it was the "career" I wanted more than anything.  It is challenging, but oh so fulfilling.  I have the opportunity to love and serve Heavenly Father's children, to help them learn and navigate through this life.  It is easy to get distracted and forget what is really important.  My family is the most important thing to me and I will work each day to teach and show love to each of my children.

No comments: