Friday, December 4, 2015

Eternal Truths

I was talking to a great friend who stated something to the fact that, "You can't really know if something is true."  I had to respectfully disagree.  President Uchtdorf (2013) asked, "Is it possible to know truth?" He went on to teach, "The thing about truth is that it exists beyond belief.  It is true even if nobody believes it.  We can say west is north and north is west all day long and even believe it with all our heart, but if, for example, we want to fly from Quito, Ecuador, to New York City in the United States, there is only one direction that will lead us there, and that is north-west just won't do."
A truth that I do know is "the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children."  (The Proclamation)  I also know that having and raising a family is not always easy, it can be very difficult at times.  In a talk to BYU entitled The Family, I appreciated President Eyrings's honesty in declaring that it would cost effort, pain and sacrifice to have an eternal family.
 He says, "The words of the proclamation make it clear to receive those blessings requires some sort of perfecting experiences."  This has been very apparent in my life this last year.  I have had many "perfecting experiences" that have humbled me and reminded me that I cannot do it alone.  It's so easy for me to fall into the pattern of relying on myself instead of the Savior.  President Eyring continued, "...so of course what He wants for us will require help beyond our powers.  That feeling of our inadequacy can make it easier to repent and to be ready to rely on the Lord's help."  I can testify that I have had heavenly help.  I know that He cares about our families and is just a prayer away.  He will send help to anyone who will ask Him for it.  I am grateful for the forgiveness that the atonement makes possible and also the strengthening power it provides in my life to do those things that God would have me do.


No comments: